Saturday 6 October 2012

October Thoughts

Today I am going to indulge myself in a little "Grandma" boasting.  Believe it or not this is something I don't often do, in fact I am probably a disgrace as a Grandmother as I don't even carry photos of my brood in a suitably capacious handbag!

However, my No.1 Granddaughter has just be made Head Girl of her Primary School - voted for by the staff and all the pupils.  What a sign of her popularity.  No.2 Granddaughter has just started "big school" at the grand age of 4 yrs and 10 months.  Photographs were taken of my latest schoolgirl in her uniform, blue and white checked dress, blazer [with room to grow!] and her straw boater set upon her head on rather a jaunty angle.  No. 1 Grandson [who will be 14 in December] delights in already towering above his "little Grandma" and the way he is growing he is likely to end up taller than his Papa too.  We recently took a photo of him with No. 2 Grandson [at his 8th Birthday tea] and they are both so handsome [OK I am biaised - but they are!].  This year No. 2 Grandson's school play in a small football league and he is really keen to prove he can be good at sport as well as his lessons.  Yesterday's highlight was winning "Man of the Match" - one proud lad.

Whenever people ask me whether I would like to move to our home in Spain I always reply that I couldn't be away from my family all year.  Our longest time in Spain was probably last year when we clocked up nearly 12 weeks, going out at Christmas, Easter, May Bank Holiday, and approx. 6 weeks in the Summer.  Of course the other vital factor is that we haven't retired, we still need to work. No-one these days can exist on a state pension.  I have spent most of my working life self-employed so haven't the comfort of any kind of end salary pension. 

To be honest most of the time I enjoy my work and I don't dwell on getting older ..... that way lies depression!  Groucho Marx's famous quote for men is that "you are only as old as the woman you feel" - I need to find an appropriate quote for women. 

No comments:

Post a Comment