Monday 18 April 2011

Passover in Spain

Sitting at my beautiful Indian Writing Desk at my Spanish Masia looking at over our land with the sun shining and the sky a stunning deep blue - heaven! We arrived early yesterday after one of those ghastly, up at 2.30 am, early flights. But now we are here it was, as always, worthwhile.

This trip it wil be mostly just me and The Man, The Daughter and her crew are in California [Universal Studios, Disneyland, Death Valley Ranch, Yosemite, etc.] and our only visitors will be Big Sister and Brother-in-law who are arriving tomorrow for 4 days.

Tonight is the beginning of Passover and the first of two Seder Nights where traditionally families gather together to read the story of the Exodus from Egypt. Tonight we are going into Alicante to attend a Communal Seder with the small Jewish community in the area. We went to one of these about four years ago and found that in addition to the locals it was quite an international gathering with attendees from Britain, France, Belgium, Holland, and America swelling the ranks.

Tomorrow when our visitors arrive we will go to another Communal Seder slightly further away along the coast towards Valencia. This means I can be realy lazy

2 comments:

  1. If I may be so bold as to ask a personal question, since you are from Great Britain but live part-time in Spain and are observing Passover there, are you Sephardic or Ashkenazic? Not that I really understand the difference, I just know the words.

    If I am being impertinent, it is unintentional. I am merely curious (which state, as we all know, killed the cat).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear rwp

    We are Askenazi by ancestry. My Grandparents escaped from Pogroms in the Ukraine just before the beginning of the 20th Century and made new lives in London.

    MM

    ReplyDelete